Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tired In Texas

Wow...I don't even know where to start. Today definitely didn't go the way I wanted it to. We were up bright and early this morning. We went downstairs at 7:30 and had coffee while waiting for the shuttle to the hospital. There were many people in the lobby that were also going to MD Anderson. For some reason, I went right up to this lady and just started chatting with her and asked her to kind of show me where I needed to go once I got to the hospital. We knew each other for about 30 minutes and when we parted ways in the lobby of the hospital, her eyes watered up as she wished me luck. It was a feeling that I had never before experienced. Once we figured out where we were supposed to go, we waited for what seemed like forever. Mom and I read and Alan worked. Finally about three hours later they called me back. They did an exam and also did a biopsy. After the exam, we all went into a conference room and waited for the doctor to come in and talk to us. Then came the hard part. I don't even know how to say this. The doctor said that if I was eligible for this certain kind of surgery and it worked, I would be cured. Since my cancer had also invaded my ovaries, I may not be a candidate for it. The surgery is very complicated and is life changing. She explained to me that the only way for me to be well would be to take out tissue and organs including my bladder and colon. After that extensive surgery, I would have to have reconstructive surgery. There are many risks and complications associated with the procedures. The other option is chemo only. My doctor explained that doing chemo alone would only help me live a little longer but would not be a cure. Right now I know for sure that the surgery is not an option for me. Alan called my doctor back in Little Rock and we are going to see him at the end of the week. Alan wants to see someone else to see if there is anything that anyone else can offer. We didn't get back to the hotel until after 5 tonight. As we were waiting for the shuttle I started thinking about things from the past. I was just thinking how a year ago I was talking with my sister about getting old. We both agreed that we didn't want wrinkles and didn't want to start wearing nerdy clothes.  After all of this, I would happily welcome 100 new wrinkles and I would be ecstatic to sport around in my elastic waist jeans pulled up to my collar bone. :)

Sorry for the typos or if I ramble a little...It's been a LONG and exhausting day. I'll continue after I see another doctor on Friday.  Please continue to pray for us during this difficult time.

7 comments:

  1. Summer, I know it's probably really difficult for you to type all this out, but I'm so glad to know how each day is going for you. I have so many questions about what the doctors are telling you, I can't imagine how many more you have!

    I'm going to bed tonight with a picture of you in nerdy elastic-waist pants stuck in my head! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer, thank you for updating us all. I am hopeful something good will happen and am praying for you every day. Stay strong! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer,
    Thanks for the update and courage you have in sharing with us. Even though this is not the news you and everyone had hoped for, the power of prayer is powerful. A lot of prayers are going up for you each day. Keep believing and hang in there. Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been in San Antonio since last Thursday and got in Monday, wasnt suppose to come in until Wednesday but was so anxious to hear what was going on and couldnt find the blog at home I came in Tuesday morning to check on you. I agree that this does present a lot of questions and you should explore every option. Your courage and faith have guided you to this point and will guide you as you continue on this journey. As always in my heart and my prayers. JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer....I KNOW this is hard. It is the HARD CORE REALITY of STAGE IV. I know people TRULY dont have the right words to say. I am here my friend, and I will ALWAYS tell u the truth. YEP IT SUCKS!!!!! I do believe THERE IS SUCH A BETTER PLACE THEN THIS FALLEN WORLD!!!! My Brother buried his Step Son this past Friday. He was a 23 year old....STRONG HEALTHY YOUNG MAN!!! Well he was in a HORRIBLE automobile accident. Here TODAY gone TOMORROW...That is the way it is. It is NOT how God intended for it to be, it is what happened when SIN ENTERED THE WORLD. Summer ONLY GOD knows the outcome. It is GOD who sees all the way from the beginning until the end. He sees THE WHOLE PICTURE. We do NOT, NOR DO THOSE DOCTORS. Trust me I GET THE REALITY. I GET THAT I AM DYING WITH A THING CALLED CANCER.....Summer Miracles DO happen. Who is to say YOU or I or possibly BOTH just may receive a miracle. I AM praying for you and I KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO HEAR THIS AT A CONFERENCE TABLE....Again....I AM JUST HERE MY DEAR SWEET SISTER.....

    May God Just BE WITH US,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many many prayers to u sweet summer!!! May God grace and mercy be with during this time:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer, we continue to pray for you every day. I also have everyone I know praying for you. With that many prayers going up for you, you have to get better. :) Your strength and courage are such an inspiration to me! Keep your spirits up and let us know if there is anything you need.

    ReplyDelete