Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Past, Present, Future

Well, after telling the same story a billion times, I decided that I would create a blog. I am inviting you all to be a part of the journey ahead. Most of you know that I found out that I had cervical cancer in 2007 after Allie Anne was born. Well, it has been a long 3 years of tests, surgeries, chemo and radiation. I was diagnosed at stage IV and finished my chemo in January of this year. In the following months, I had numerous follow ups and a body scan in March. All of my tests came back clear and my body scans showed no sign of cancer anywhere. My hair is starting to grow and I am feeling normal again! Alan and I started the adoption process and were so happy thinking about having an addition to our family. I went in for a routine follow up last week and was feeling all happy about myself and about my new doctor. The doctor said that he would have his nurse call me either way with my results. So, Monday I finally got the call...only it wasn't the nurse, it was my doctor. I knew right away that something wasn't right. So, long story short, I have cancer again. He said that there was no way to tell if this is new or something that was left behind and is just now showing up.  He said that when this type of cancer comes back it normally comes back worse (Not sure how it gets worse than stage IV :) ).  He is sending me to a place in Houston, TX for treatment. Today I have been waiting for phone calls from different doctors trying to make sense of all of this and trying to figure out the next steps. I have a body scan set up for Wednesday to give us a better idea of what we are dealing with. Hopefully in the next day I will have a definite plan of what lies ahead. I talked with Cancer Treatment Centers of America earlier today and that is also a possibility. They can fly Alan and I up to Chicago for 5 days to talk to doctors and see what all they have to offer, so it is definitely a possibility too. Either way, I will be flying out for chemo, staying a couple of days, and then returning home right after. Not sure how many months that will last. I don't have much to go on right now. I do know that I am scared to death!! I was fine when I found out, but today I woke up feeling like I had lost my best friend or something. I breezed through it the first time so hopefully I can do it again. I will keep you all posted with new news and our plan for treatment.

4 comments:

  1. I really can't believe all of this.. It is a total shock to me, so I can only imagine what it is like you for. You know that I will do anything and everything that I can to help with whatever you need. You are very strong. You made it through the first time and I know you will make it through this again. It may be another long journey, but you have so many great friends and family that love you and will help you along the way. I love you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer, you will get thru this! There are so many more treatments out there that will help you. I don't know if you've talked to Diane, but she flies out every 3 weeks to the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Chicago. She started her chemo treatments in June. She's getting her last chemo treatment on Monday and is in remission! She'll start getting maintenance treatment in a month! There IS hope out there and you have family and friends who love you and who are praying for you! I know you're scared, but God, family and friends will help you get you thru this! Continued prayers for you and your family! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.
    XOXO-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are things we simply cannot understand and to dwell on that is wasting energy that needs to be directed toward your staying strong. I am so heartbroken over this as all of us are. I agree with everyone else YOU will get through this as you have before. The last time we talked you said you couldnt believe how fortunate you were to have such a loving family and a great life and that plus your faith will get you through once again. As I have told you before you are stronger then you ever knew you were. You know I am here for you. Love you always JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep praying for your Merf! If you need some comic relief just let me know!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete