Tuesday, January 11, 2011

YES!

We went to the doctor on Friday for my chat time before the first chemo. The doctor walked in and handed Alan a paper that looked like it came from a binder. Alan was reading it and the doctor was just staring at him smiling. "What!? Tell me what y'all are talking about!" A drug was approved from the FDA this month for treating stage IV cervical cancer!! How did this happen the week before I was about to start treatment...Just in time! It's an old drug that has been used for lung cancer but went through clinical trials and now is approved for cervical cancer. It is not a cure but the patients in the trials lived much longer. I will have the new drug added to the other drugs that he was already planning on using.  The doctor's only concern is that the drug is totally going to knock my immune system out and my bone marrow may stop producing. Last round, I had a hard time keeping my white blood counts up but maybe this time will be different.  My incision wasn't healed enough to start treatment yesterday so he moved my first round to the 17th. I'm really happy because it gave me time to play in the snow and enjoy the weekend.  I'm spending this week eating all of the healthy foods that I can get my hands on.  I still manage to leave plenty of room for Snickers, cookies and brownies though!  :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh Summer that is wonderful news! Exodus 14:14 comes to mind for sure! I've added you to the womens bible study I go to. I'll add you to another one of my prayer groups if you don't mind. This is a huge community of prayer warriors but I must have your permission b/c it goes out to hundreds of people. Let me know and again I'm thrilled about the news you've received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brandy! Of course you can add me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fantastic news, Summer! Continue to repeat that wonderful passage from the book over and over and remember...God has blessed us with a very special Gaurdian Angel named Diane! You Can Do This! There is hope! Praying for you and your family every day! I'm here for you if you need me! Love, Hugs and Kisses!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great news! Thinking of you and praying for you.

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer this is great news! You have been my prayers and will continue to be:) I'm so glad you got to enjoy the snow with your family! Your daughter is your clone.... she's beautiful! Take care and know that you are in the prayers of many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that I feel like hurling and crying at the same time (but in a good way). This is of course no coincidence but a gift from the Lord! My prayer has been that you will not be as sick this time with this first round or chemo. Thanks for updating so that now we can pray for you even more specifically. You can do this, Summer!
    Liz Hagins

    ReplyDelete