Thursday, December 16, 2010

Alan's Blog Now!

After talking with the doctor, we have realized the true extent of Summer's cancer. While in surgery, the doctor found a nodule that he thought was simply scar tissue but when the pathology report came back, it was positive for cancer. The nodule was located on the abdomen wall which is why the surgery was stopped. Although this is bad news, the cancer is still confined to a small area. The doctor explained it as a six inch area, from top to bottom, that they were working in...couldn't tell that from the size of the incision!!! Other than the one nodule the rest of the pelvic area looked great. So we are no better but no worse off than before the surgery, just better informed. Any further surgery at this point and probably in the future is out of the question. This means more chemo and possibly maintenance chemo for the rest of Summer's life. At the end of the day, it's not about the hard times ahead but making sure Summer sees Allie grow up to become as great a person as Summer is...she is truly a "mini me" of Summer. I know it will be tough but we have a long life ahead and we are going to enjoy every minute of it. GOD is leading up to something greater than we can comprehend and HE isn't done working in Summer's life. GOD has blessed us with a beautiful daughter and a great life with great friends and family. We thank HIM everyday for the wonderful blessings in our life and hope you will continue your prayers for Summer. The encouragement she is getting from Facebook and this blog has had a huge impact and as much as everyone wants to see/be with Summer, I think she needs her rest so she can continue her recovery. We could possibly be out of the hospital as soon as Friday but Summer has to hit her milestones first. Once we get home, I will let everyone know our hours of operation...and the admission fee. j/k!!

GOD is GREAT!!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear it is confined to such a small area. She is constantly in my thoughts, and I look forward to many more positive updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better informed is good, and I know that somehow great things are going to come from this. That's hard to see now, but I am trusting God's promises, even though it's so, so hard.

    I love watching Allie-she is so much like Summer! And I'm praying that Summer doesn't miss a second of Allie's growing up years. That time is so precious!

    Alan, I think the admission fee should be a big ole hug from YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to drop by and let ya'll know we are keeping all of you in our prayers and thoughts.
    Love, David & Cammie and our little furry friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned of your illness through a mutual friend, Jan. We have never met, but I wanted you to know you're in my prayers, you and your family. Just another prayer warrior.

    ReplyDelete